Sugar ship sweetens swamped Bundaberg spirits


The first sugar ship arrival into Bundaberg's port since the devastating January floods has been savoured

Sugar ship sweetens swamped Bundaberg spirits
Sugar ship sweetens swamped spirits in Bundaberg

June 20, 2013

The Bundaberg community has relished the first sugar ship arrival into port since the devastating January floods, which threatened to sour the region's economy.

The Queensland Government
yesterday
announced the Celine, a 150-metre sugar cargo ship, arrived Tuesday.

Queensland Community Recovery and Resilience Minister David Crisafulli says the ship’s arrival marks a turning point in the region’s economic recovery.

He says the arrival means last year’s sugar can now be shipped to market, opening up storage for this year’s crop.

"The January floods damaged the shipping channel and navigation markers, stranding 180,000 tonnes of last season’s sugar crush in storage," Crisafulli says.

"The restoration of the port’s infrastructure and the arrival of the Celine means this region is open for business again in time for this year’s crush.

"Each time we start one more bridge repair, one more country road opens again, or even a new culvert gets built, we’re marching forwards."

In 2011, it took the Bundaberg Regional Council 18 months to get $25 million worth of repair work to the market.

"In 2013, it has taken four months to get $40 million worth of work to market," Crisafulli says.

He says rebuilding roads, the port, water infrastructure and bridges is happening quickly.

The state is rebuilding with the help of the $80 million betterment fund, jointly funded by the Federal Government.


You can also follow our updates by joining our LinkedIn group or liking us on Facebook