NHVR invites heavy vehicle safety project submissions


Chester announces third round of funding, spruiks benefits of NHVR's Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative program

NHVR invites heavy vehicle safety project submissions
(L-R) NHVR chairman Bruce Baird, federal infrastructure and transport minister Darren Chester, and NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto.

 

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) is inviting submissions for the next round of federal government funding to support industry-led safety projects.

Federal infrastructure and transport minister Darren Chester called for the next round of submissions for the NHVR's Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative program at the NHVR Industry Reference Forum yesterday.

Chester says the program is already changing lives and saving lives.

"The first two rounds of the program have seen $7.72 million invested in 17 projects to improve safety for heavy vehicle drivers, operators and general road users," Mr Chester said.

"The Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative is entering the third funding round with $3.89 million from the Turnbull-Joyce Government available to support a wide range of projects.

"There were 212 fatalities involving heavy vehicles across Australia in 2016–17 and we are continuing to work hard to ensure that number continues to decline.

"Governments and agencies don't have all the answers, which is why we want to hear from anyone who has a program, education, or information materials that can provide a tangible safety benefit."

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto said the uptake of the program had been extremely high.

"Due to the overwhelming response by industry in the past, the NHVR has decided to open applications earlier this round," Petroccitto says.

"We expect to again receive high quality proposals for both grass-roots and higher level safety projects.

"We are looking for submissions that detail implementable, value-for-money projects that will deliver significant heavy vehicle safety benefits.

"Safety projects that are already benefiting from support of the Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative program include a funding option for a livestock unloading crate by the Australian Livestock and Rural Transporters Association, a series of safety workshops by the Australian Forest Contractors Association, Chain of Responsibility information being delivered nationally, and a fog awareness trial being rolled-out in Victoria."

Applications are open until February 23, 2018.

The submissions will be presented to the Transport and Infrastructure Council (TIC) for consideration in May next year.

You can also follow our updates by joining our LinkedIn group or liking us on Facebook