Trucks triggering CityLink tunnel height alert

By: Ruza Zivkusic-Aftasi


The industry has responded well to new warning system, toll road operator says

Trucks triggering CityLink tunnel height alert
The Burnley Tunnel has seen some over-height action

 

Less than a month since a new detection system was launched to prevent over-height vehicles from accessing Melbourne’s tunnels, seven trucks have triggered alerts.

CityLink flicked the switch on its system for the Burnley and Domain tunnels three weeks ago, banning trucks higher than 4.6m from entering in a bid to reduce damage to infrastructure.

In no time has it seen over-height vehicles try to access the tunnels, CityLink spokeswoman Ayllie White says.

"The over height detection system has triggered speed limit reductions and lane closures seven times since it was activated on August 5," White says.

"We’ve had one incident where we closed the Burnley Tunnel for a short period (using the traffic lights) while the offending truck exited the toll road.

"There was minimal impact to traffic as it happened in the middle of the night.

"All trucks that have triggered the over height detection system have exited off the toll road without the need of an escort and impacts to traffic have been minimal."

The system causes traffic to stop and allows CityLink crew to escort over-height vehicles to the closest ramp, with interruption to traffic lasting up to 15 minutes so far.

CityLink has been working closely with the Victorian Transport Association (VTA) to educate drivers about the issue.

"The VTA have been very supportive of the upgraded system," White says.

"Industry have also responded well and have been active in getting the news out to their drivers."

You can also follow our updates by joining our LinkedIn group or liking us on Facebook