Darwin strike called off, but other stoppages go ahead


A 24-hour strike against stevedore Patrick has been cancelled at the Darwin port

By Ruza Zivkusic | October 7, 2011

A 24-hour strike against stevedore Patrick has been cancelled at Darwin Port, but other work stoppageshave gone ahead.

The Maritime Union of Australia (MUA), which is pushing for a settlement on the long-running dispute over an enterprise agreement, says its members last night decided to cancel the strike due to start today.

"They informed the company that they would be working as normal – they probably had some breakthrough with their local issues," MUA’s Assistant National Secretary Ian Bray says.

Fremantle’s 24-hour strike has commenced today, and workers at Melbourne’s Webb Dock stopped work for eight hours.

Up to 500 workers across the ports are on strike, Bray says.

"There’s been some talk around the place but no one has gone as far as to lift the action," he adds.

"Hopefully as it keeps going this way we might be in a position in the near future to lift the action and get back to the table but that’s really Patrick’s call. They still haven’t been in touch with me."

A ban on shift extensions of any kind will take place at Geelong Port starting from midnight tonight and finishing until midnight on October 21.

No truck drivers have been affected by the strike so far, Bray says.

The employees are demanding more training, better safety and job security.




Bookmark and Share







You can also follow our updates by joining our LinkedIn group or liking us on Facebook