Victorian truck tax no longer a certainty


Trucking industry welcomes Victorian Government’s decision to reconsider introduction of freight infrastructure charge

By Ruza Zivkusic | May 9, 2011

A proposal for a new charge on trucks entering the Port of Melbourne has been shelved in a move welcomed by the trucking industry.

Ports Minister Denis Napthine says the Baillieu Government is reviewing the charge, which has been factored into the Budget’s forward estimates.

Announced by the previous government last year, the measure would see trucks charged upon entering stevedoring terminals at the Port of Melbourne. The previous government planned to collect $1 billion over the next decade to contribute towards the $38 billion Victorian Transport Plan.

"The Baillieu Government is reviewing the freight infrastructure charge and has undertaken extensive consultation with key stakeholders into a freight infrastructure charge and will take that information into account when making a decision on the future of the charge," Napthine says.

Victorian Transport Association (VTA) CEO Philip Lovel says he is pleased to hear the government is reconsidering the tax.

"It’s very positive news and I think they’ve actually woken up because we’ve done some hard lobbying," he says.

"Obviously the government needs money and we’ll work with them to see where they can obtain it from as long as we don’t need to collect it.

"We’ll be working with the government to see where we can increase our productivity, make our roads safer and keep within their budget."


You can also follow our updates by joining our LinkedIn group or liking us on Facebook