After 500 days, Melb channel deepening near complete


Channel deepening at the Port of Melbourne is on track for completion at the end of August

Channel deepening at the Port of Melbourne is on track for completion at the end of August, with the dredging process 83 percent complete after 500 days of works.

Since it commenced on February 8 last year, 19 million cubic metres of sand and silt have been removed from the port.

Port of Melbourne Corporation CEO Stephen Bradford says progress has been pleasing.

"With the majority of the works completed we are on schedule, within budget and well on course to delivering his project within full compliance of environmental limits," he says.

The channel deepening at the port will modify the shipping channels enabling access for ships of up to 14m draught in all tidal conditions in the bay and Yarra River. Currently, the maximum draught is 11.6m without tidal assistance.

According to the port the last quarter saw about 60 percent of container vessels having draught of greater than 11.6m, which Bradford says justifies the project.

"The project will allow more ships using the Port to utilise their full draught as well as to facilitate an incremental increase in the size of ships entering the port," he says.

You can also follow our updates by joining our LinkedIn group or liking us on Facebook