East-west line 'severely damaged' by derailment


Investigation shows train derailment on east-west line caused more damage than originally thought

A section of the east-west rail line in South Australia will be closed until at least Saturday after extensive damage from a train derailment on Monday.

An investigation into the incident, which involved a 12-wagon freight train, found further damage to the line that originally thought.

As well as destroying 300 metres of the track, the train also caused significant damage to the east end turnout.

As such, trains entering the turnout are being forced to slow down to 20km/h, a statement from the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) says.

Furthermore, "it was discovered that the west end points had been severely damaged and in need of replacement", according to the ARTC.

"It is estimated that the line will be open to rail traffic on the afternoon of Saturday September 6," the ARTC says.

The severity of the accident means three cranes are en route to remove the damaged wagons and spilled goods.

The derailment happened near Mount Christie on Monday night and initially damaged about 300 metres of track.









You can also follow our updates by joining our LinkedIn group or liking us on Facebook